How Well Do You Know Criminal Law?How Well Do You Know Criminal Law?


About Me

How Well Do You Know Criminal Law?

Sure, you know what's illegal and what's not. You know how to avoid breaking the law. But do you know the technicalities that can get your case dismissed in court? Do you know what kind of evidence is allowed in your defense and what isn't? Do you know how to effectively cross-examine a witness? If the answer to these questions is no, then you shouldn't be considering defending yourself in court. When a criminal case gets to court, innocence doesn't matter as much as experience with criminal law does. You need an experienced lawyer to help you defend yourself. In this blog, I'll share experiences that can help you understand what is going to happen in court and how to assist in your own defense. But the most important piece of advice I can give you is this: don't go to court without a lawyer.

Latest Posts

3 Important Steps to Take When Filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
17 May 2019

If you've found yourself in a lot of debt and have

Out On Work-Related Injuries? 4 Tips To Have An Enjoyable Vacation Without Jeopardizing Your Claim
10 April 2019

Summer is almost here. If you've been injured on t

Medical Expenses Too High? Make Sure to Contact a Foreclosure Attorney If Necessary
6 March 2019

Losing a limb to diabetes may take a person years

Steps That You Should Take After Inadvertent Exposure to Child Pornography
28 January 2019

Many people enjoy occasionally or frequently brows

Private Investigators Catch Catfish
20 December 2018

If you have been on the Internet at all in the las

Has Your Friend Been Arrested? 3 Steps That Will Help You Avoid Problems When Posting Their Bail

If your friend has been arrested, and they've asked you to help them arrange bail, there are some things you'll need to know. While you may want to rush out to help your friend get out of police custody, the terms of the bail bond can affect you directly. Before you arrange bail for your friend, here are some steps that will help you avoid problems:

Know the Requirements

When it comes to arranging bail, you'll need to understand the requirements. Depending on the bail amount, you may need to arrange for cash and collateral. In most cases, you'll be required to provide the bail bondsman with 10% of the total bail amount in cash. The remaining 90% will need to be provided in the form of collateral. The collateral you provide can be anything you own, including real or personal property. So, if you own your car, motorcycle, or home, you can place those up as collateral for your friend's bail. Be sure to talk to the bail bonds agent about other forms of collateral that may be allowed.

Wait Until the Bail Hearing

When your friend was arrested, an initial bail amount was set. However, once they're arraigned, the judge will set the formal bail amount. That amount could change, based on the charges your friend is facing. In fact, if your friend is facing minor charges, the bail could be eliminated altogether, which means they'll be released on their own recognizance – without bail. If that happens, you won't need to arrange for bail at all. If you can, try to wait until the official bail hearing, before arranging bail for your friend.

Protect Your Investment

Once your friend is out on bail, you'll need to protect your investment. This is particularly true if you posted a large cash deposit or substantial collateral. While out on bail, your friend will need to follow all the rules that the judge ordered as terms for their release. Some of the rules they'll be required to follow will include:

  • Attending all their court hearings
  • Remaining in the county or state where they were arrested
  • Avoiding contact with victims
  • Obeying all laws

If your friend breaks any of the rules, they could lose their right to bail. If that happens, their bail will be revoked, they'll be ordered back into police custody, and you'll lose the cash and collateral that you posted for their release on bail.