How Well Do You Know Criminal Law?How Well Do You Know Criminal Law?

About Me

How Well Do You Know Criminal Law?

Sure, you know what's illegal and what's not. You know how to avoid breaking the law. But do you know the technicalities that can get your case dismissed in court? Do you know what kind of evidence is allowed in your defense and what isn't? Do you know how to effectively cross-examine a witness? If the answer to these questions is no, then you shouldn't be considering defending yourself in court. When a criminal case gets to court, innocence doesn't matter as much as experience with criminal law does. You need an experienced lawyer to help you defend yourself. In this blog, I'll share experiences that can help you understand what is going to happen in court and how to assist in your own defense. But the most important piece of advice I can give you is this: don't go to court without a lawyer.

Latest Posts

Why You Might Need an Asset Protection Attorney
22 March 2024

In today's uncertain world, it is more important t

Steps of Writing a Living Will
5 February 2024

When considering the future and the inevitability

Five Services You Can Get from a Bankruptcy Attorney
10 January 2024

Dealing with bankruptcy can be a difficult experie

Securing Your Estate: The Crucial Role of a Lawyer in Writing Your Will
12 December 2023

When it comes to planning for the future, one of t

Safeguarding Your Legacy: The Impact of Professional Estate Planning
9 November 2023

The process of preparing for the end of your life

Can Your Parents Get Visitation With Your Child After Your Divorce?

In an acrimonious divorce, grandparents can sometimes get caught in the crossfire. Keeping a child away from his or her grandparents is sometimes viewed as a way to punish the other spouse, but it can be more harmful to the child and grandparents. If you are going through a divorce, here is what you need to know about ensuring your parents continue to have a relationship with your child. 

Do Grandparents Have Visitation Rights?

Most states have laws in place that allow for grandparents to receive visitation rights. The extent of those rights varies from state to state. The court recognizes that a continuing relationship with the grandparents and the grandchild is good for his or her emotional health. This is especially true if your parents have been caretakers for the child. 

Although your state might provide opportunities for your parents to visit with their grandchild, you could run into roadblocks if your soon-to-be ex is reluctant to allow visitation with them. In an ideal situation, your spouse would recognize the importance of the relationship, but if he or she does not, there are a couple of options available to you and your parents.  

What Can You Do?

If your spouse is unwilling to allow your parents to see their grandchild and the divorce is not final, your divorce attorney can possibly work out a visitation agreement. You and your parents might have to compromise on some issues to reach an agreement, but it is sometimes possible to settle the issue without having to go further.  

Unfortunately, some spouses are unwilling to negotiate. If your spouse is not, your parents can file a petition with the court to request visitation. Before filing, they will need to review their state's laws on visitation to ensure they can meet the requirements established by the government.  

Even though the laws vary by state, the courts tend to look for certain requirements. For instance, your parents will need to prove that continuing their relationship with your child would be in the best interests of him or her. If your parents have been actively involved in helping to raise the child, they could rely on their caretaking experience to help build their case.  

It is important that you and your parents take the steps necessary as soon as possible. The process to gain visitation rights can take time. Failing to take action now could result in delays later that could cost your parents and child time together. 

For more information, contact a professional in your area or visit a website like